The Mithoefer Center for Rural Surgery
is made possible...
through generous donations from
The Robert Keeler Foundation
The Mithoefer Center for Rural Surgery is a
part of the Bassett Healthcare Network.
The Mithoefer Center for Rural Surgery website is designed to provide physicians, researchers, hospital administrators, students and rural residents with information and networking opportunities concerning the provision of surgical care in rural communities.
This site includes information and resources about our research program, educational opportunities, symposium and rural surgeons network.
2011 Rural Surgery Symposium May 5-8
Click here for more information and to register online
Download the 'save the date' card as PDF
The Mithoefer Center for Rural Surgery is dedicated to ensuring that rural citizens have access to high-quality surgical services. We will achieve this mission by:
- FOSTERING communication among rural surgeons, researchers, policy makers, and rural communities to promote collaboration and networking in solving a public health crisis.
- INCREASING knowledge of rural surgical workforce, education, and quality of care issues through continuing research efforts. We will also examine the impact that surgical services have on rural hospitals and systems of care.
- ADVANCING the education and training of college and medical students as well as residents and surgeons practicing or planning to practice in rural communities.
- ADVOCATING for public policy efforts aimed at improving rural citizens’ access to quality surgical services.
Our research efforts are focused on the following:
- Describing the rural surgical workforce .
- Determining rural surgeons' practice patterns.
- Discerning the educational needs of rural surgeons.
- Examining the financial impact of surgical services on rural hospitals.
- Improving rural residents' access to high-quality surgical care
- Reducing disparities in access to high-quality surgical care in underserved areas.